On 14 August 2010, fans of the RollerCoaster Tycoon games were asked by Atari officials (through their forums) what they would like to see implemented in a fourth installment of the game. They also stated that they were "thinking hard about the next RollerCoaster Tycoon game on PC". Many fans assumed that this meant a fourth installment was in development. However, this was not true and Atari took the thread down.
In 2013, RollerCoaster Tycoon 4 was supposedly announced to be under development by Red Coin Games, with a trailer on YouTube. However, Red Coin Games has confirmed that this trailer was fake, with no word on if the actual game was in development. Though some claim to have heard rumors of Dreampark Studio to be made by Red Coin Games.
On 11 March 2014, RollerCoaster Tycoon 4 has apparently been teased by Atari on their Facebook and Twitter pages. Fans assumed it could be a mobile game, as a #RCT4M hashtag was used.
A fourth installment in the series was officially announced on 16 March 2014. On 18 March, Atari announced on their Twitter profile that RollerCoaster Tycoon 4 computer game was in development, and a mobile game would be released soon.
The trailer for the mobile game got extremely negative reviews, with over 5,000 dislikes in just days after uploading. As a response to this, the Atari stated on the official RollerCoaster Tycoon Facebook page: We hear everyone's comments on the new RollerCoaster Tycoon game and want to let you all know that the mobile game and PC experience will be 2 completely different games. Both games will release this year. The mobile game will include social features (sharing with friends, leaderboards) and the PC experience will have even more features and functionality. We are excited to bring these games to you soon!
Fans were still concerned about the PC game not being of decent quality due to the 6 months' development time. However, Atari later stated that the game would be coming in sometime in 2015, not necessarily early within the year.
On August 12, 2014, Atari officially announced RollerCoaster Tycoon World as a full PC game. This was followed by a trailer uploaded on March 5, 2015, to overwhelmingly negative reactions. Atari responded to the backlash stating that the game was still in early development, and that the game engine would eventually be upgraded from Unity 4.6 to Unity 5.0. Sometime between this trailer release and the beta, Atari hired Nvizzio Creations to work on the game. Their work would eventually lead to the game entering Steam Early Access on March 30, 2016. However, the game was universally panned due to numerous bugs and glitches, which Atari believed were written by 'trolls.' Over the summer and fall of 2016, Nvizzio continued to work on the game during Early Access, however many of the bugs were not fixed due to the short development time. The game was released on November 16, 2016 to overwhelmingly negative reviews and ratings, eventually leading Atari and Nvizzio to shift all their resources and development on a new RollerCoaster Tycoon game, RollerCoaster Tycoon Touch.
Meanwhile, Planet Coaster by Frontier Developments released the following day and almost immediately recieved acclaim by the RCT fanbase and critics. With RollerCoaster Tycoon World being eclipsed by Planet Coaster's success and player numbers, all hope for bug-fixing and post-release features vanished.
Atari has also announced features for the game on the games' official website. These include:
- Freeform Object Placement: Control and place every single in-game object anywhere on the map at any angle. For our more casual users, we are also providing ‘snap-to’ and ‘brush’ placement functionality to make this enhancement easy to use.
- Curved Paths: Select your unique type of path from a variety of widths, styles, and shapes. You can make them straight or, for the first time in the franchise, curve them at almost any angle!
- Innovative 3D Track Editor: Create the coolest and wildest coasters imaginable with our best track editor ever! For the first time, using our spline-based editor, tracks can be fully manipulated in 3D allowing you to create any shape you can dream up.
- Fully Deformable Terrain with Water: Build amazing rides and change your park’s landscape in full 3D with completely deformable terrain and water.
- Expansive Selection of In-Game Objects: Entertain your park guests with many different types of coasters and rides, all in eye-popping next generation resolution. Choose from premade rides and coasters to scenery and shops.
Expansive Customization Support:
- UGC Tools: For the first time, you will be able to create items like your own scenery and peeps, in any 3D editing program that works with Unity, and import it into the game for everyone to use!
- Multiple Maps and Themes: Choose from different environments and theme options to make each map unique.
Fully Realized Next-Generation Simulation:
- Detailed Park Management Tools: Run a successful theme park with the beautifully crafted User Interface that provides easy access to all of your park management tools. From park finances to the thoughts of your guests, everything is at your fingertips including new features, like heat maps and tips!
- Multiple Game Modes: Play the way you want in Sandbox mode, or complete varying challenges and quests in Scenario and Campaign modes.
- Responsive Environments + Guests: Create themed zones in your park! Placing different themed rides and objects will affect not only ratings but increase its attractiveness to certain peeps, changing the gameplay dynamically.
- Advanced Physics Calculations: The coasters in RCTW use a more complex physics simulation than any previous game in the franchise. This simulation allows for amazing designs and lifelike riding experience. Build a coaster that stays perfectly on its tracks or teeters on the brink of disaster; just be careful or your coaster may jump the rails!
- Ride Every Coaster: Hop into the front seat of a coaster and ride what you made yourself!
- Innovative Services: Manage your park’s medical, janitorial, entertainment and mechanical needs with the re-designed, simple-yet-powerful services system.
Native Sharing and Social Features:
- Social Media Integration: Share all your cool creations and designs with your friends straight from within the game!
- Freeform Cameras: Take a video at any angle; edit your park above, below, or next to a ride. Prefer an isometric view? We have that too!
- Friend’s Lists and Stat Comparisons: See what your Steam and Social friends are up to in their games from within yours! It’s easy to see someone’s latest coaster or when they last edited their park.
- Visit a Friend: Check out a friend’s park with a simple click! Chat with them and give them suggestions on what to do next while you’re there.
- Native Steam Workshop Support: Native Steam Workshop support is built right in the game! The interface has been simplified and centralized to make it easy for anyone from casual to hardcore to use. Custom scenery, blueprinted coasters, parks and more can be easily and seamlessly shared from within the game. UGC has been designed to be accessible and easy to use for everyone.
Transport Rides are not in this game. An update was planned, but for unknown reasons it appears that they will never release an update for transport rides.
- Helter Skelter
- Merry Go Round
- Banana Tycoon
- Canyon Run
- Western Wheel
- Downtown Traffic
- The Montgolfiéres
- Rings of Saturn
- Silly Swings
- Bucking Bull
- Wild Tycoon Wings
- Observation Tower
- Haunted House
- Ferris Wheel
- Tea Cups
- Super Flyer
- Flying Carpet
- Plundering Pirate
- Twirling Tower
- Barnyard Bash
- Ring of Fire
- Gravity Flux
- Slingshot Tycoon
- Orbit Spin
- Vertical Slice
- Zero-G Zipper
- Drop Zone
- Twisted Twizzler
- Hyper Coaster
- Wooden Coaster
- Stand-Up Coaster
- Dive Coaster
- Floorless Coaster
- Flying Coaster
- Inverted Coaster
- Accelerator Coaster
- Wing Coaster
- Spinning Coaster
- Looping Coaster
Water Rides are not available in this game. An update was planned, but for unknown reasons it appears that they will never release an update for water rides.
Shops & Stalls
Hyper Coaster Scene(blog post 11)
Wood Station Internal (post 15)
Wood Station External(blog post 15)
- Official website
- RollerCoaster Tycoon 4 information at IGN
- RollerCoaster Tycoon 4 False Trailer Controversy @ Gamesided.com (2013)
|RollerCoaster Tycoon Games|
|Compilations||RCT Deluxe • RCT2 Triple Thrill Pack • RCT3 Gold! • RCT3 Gold Edition • RCT3 Platinum! • World of RCT • RCT 6 Pack • RCT Mega Pack • RCT3 Complete Edition|
|Ports/remakes||OpenRCT2 • RCT Classic|
|Spin-offs||RCT: The Board Game • RCT Pinball Machine • RCT Idle|